2014 has come and gone and 2015 is finally upon us! A new year means lots of new and exciting things to look forward to during your annual trip(s) to Myrtle Beach. Curious about what this year has in store? Enjoy our annual roundup:
“Back Gate” Construction Complete – Anyone who has been to Myrtle Beach over the past three years is sure to be familiar with the “back gate” construction project. This overpass project, located at the intersection of Highway 17 Bypass and Farrow Parkway, was finally completed at the end of 2014. The new overpass will make travel between the north and south end of the Grand Strand easier while improving the flow of traffic to and from Market Common from the highway.
North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex – Ideal for sports groups or families looking to enjoy the Myrtle Beach weather, the new North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex was a welcomed addition to the area. The complex boasts four regulation softball fields, two regulation baseball fields, 8 regulation soccer fields, and 8 batting funnels. Additionally, families often enjoy the three brand new play ground areas, outdoor amphitheatre, dog park, picnic shelters, lush meadows, and walking / bike trails. Event lovers and festival fanatics will also want to keep an ear out for the occasional events that are hosted at the spacious indoor facility. Call (843) 281-3800 for more information.
More Flights Come to Myrtle Beach Airport – Recent years have brought a hundred-million dollar renovation to the terminal at the Myrtle Beach airport which has led to the addition of several more flights to the destination lineup. Additions include a non-stop daily flight schedule to Cleveland throughout the spring and summer through Spirit Airlines and additional destinations through Allegiant Air like Lexington, KY, Syracuse, NY, and Cincinnati, OH.
Hollywood Wax Museum – Visitors to the Grand Strand can now get up close and personal with their favorite famous idols at the Hollywood Wax Museum. This recent area addition is actually three unique attractions all under one roof. The main attraction, as you might guess, is the wax museum which offers more than 50 authentic hand sculpted wax figures that you can take pictures with. Guests can also visit Hannah’s Maze of Mirrors and Breakout – A Zombie Apocalypse Experience. Tickets may be purchased individually or in a package for all three attractions. Call (843) 462-5991 for more information.
Broadway Grand Prix – Broadway Grand Prix, formerly the NASCAR SpeedPark, went through several updates before re-opening last summer. This popular go-kart attraction is now bigger and better than ever and offers even more family fun than before. Broadway Grand Prix offers seven unique tracks featuring options for any age and skill level. Additionally, this entertainment hot spot offers several carnival styles rides, a dedicated kid’s zone, several thrill rides, an arcade, and a rock climbing wall. Perfect for families or for adults who want to re-connect with their inner child, the Broadway Grand Prix is a great way to enjoy some high speed action and a little friendly competition. Call (843) 839-4080 for more information.
New Restaurants – Several new area restaurants have popped up over the past year – be sure to try a few of these out when you are craving something new:
• Atlas Tap House – Craft beer, aged bourbon, and gourmet BBQ can all be found under one roof at Atlas Tap House. Conveniently located along 10th Avenue South, this recent addition offers generous portions of your home-style favorites – BBQ sandwiches, burgers, wings, and more! This local spot is perfect for refueling after a busy day at the beach. Call (843) 945-9122 for more information.
• Art Burger Sushi Bar – Two different worlds collide and live in happiness at Art Burger Sushi Bar. We guarantee that you can’t find a restaurant like this anywhere else along the Grand Strand! Gourmet, handmade burgers paired with fresh, local sushi – what could be better? The oceanfront location and chic, modern design are just the icing on the cake. Call (843) 839-4774 for more information.
• Johnny D’s Waffles – Perfect for an early breakfast or a mid-day brunch, Johnny D’s Waffles offers a wide array of both sweet and savory items to sink your teeth into. Breakfast items include omelettes, egg plates, benedict variations, French toast, pancakes, and plenty of waffles, of course! Or, if you are in the mood for lunch, try one of the fresh salads, sandwiches, or wraps. This casual eatery is great for families or groups of any size. Call (843) 448-6789 for more information.
• Boom Boom Wine Room – Wine lovers rejoice! Boom Boom features a unique cruvinet system which allows a one, three, or five ounce sample of rotating wines from around the world. Additionally, Boom Boom offers a fresh, seasonal tapas menu with items designed to complement the wine. Call (980) 422-5456 for more information.
• Smokin’ Hot BBQ – Award winning BBQ and fast, friendly service are just two things that keep area visitors flocking back to this new Barefoot Landing addition. The menu is simple yet creative with plenty of familiar BBQ staples and several unexpected items like pulled pork nachos, BBQ burrito, and bacon wrapped hotdogs. Call (843) 427-7183 for more information.
• Smoke and Fire Gastropub – As Myrtle Beach’s first authentic gastropub, Fire and Smoke offers a refreshing change from the usual seafood lineup. Fresh local ingredients are the secret to the creative concoctions offered here which range from appetizers and tapas plates to entrée portions. Favorites include the poutine, duck confit nachos, and buffalo meatloaf. Call (843) 449-0085 for more information.
• Masala Zone – Lovers of ethnic cuisine will definitely want to check out the flavorful offerings at Masala Zone. Guests can indulge in traditional favorites like tandoori dishes, chicken tiki masala, curry variations, and plenty of naan to go around. Try a little bit of everything from the Indian buffet or indulge in the regular entrée menu. Call (843) 444-0325 for more information.
• Roosters Bar & Grill – Located within the bustling Broadway at the Beach venue, Rooster’s Bar and Grill offers a casual atmosphere and scrumptious menu to help you refuel. Menu selections include appetizers, flat bread pizzas, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and plenty of creative chicken concoctions that are sure to appease even the pickiest palate. Call (843) 945-4089 for more information.
• Co Sushi – Co Sushi is quickly becoming the “go-to” place for fresh sushi and Asian fusion along the Grand Strand. Located in Market Common, the menu at Co offers dumplings, sushi and sushi rolls, ceviche, curry, pad thai, and more. Ideal for a quick lunch, date night, or a girls night out on the town, Co Sushi is a favorite among visitors and locals alike. Call (843) 839-1733 for more information.
• Tupelo Honey Café – Tupelo Honey Café – a popular dining spot at other southern destinations – is coming to Myrtle Beach in the summer of 2015! Stay tuned for more details.
What new addition are you most looking forward to during your trip to Myrtle Beach this year?